By: Marissa Lowery
Oklahoma City is a great place to live for many reasons. It is surrounded by beauty, it’s affordable and a safe community for families. OKC is a city influenced by the West and surrounded by Southern hospitality. It is growing into a thriving metroplex with incredible food, shopping and entertainment, not to mention great schools! Outdoorsy adventures are easily accessible and with places such as Lake Overholser and the Wichita Mountains, we have it all! Visitors always say “Oklahoma has the friendliest people!” and I have yet to disagree. Oklahomans are always willing to offer a smile, joke or helping hand!
#1) OKC continues to appear on “Best of” lists!
- “High Wages and Low Cost of Living” (OKC Ranked #1)
Oklahoma City residents make a nice living, and, when that’s coupled with an affordable cost of living, that can make it an ideal place to live.
- “25 Best Cities for Outdoor Space”
When a city finds a way to balance nature with modern life, residents live happier lives. Oklahoma City has several green spaces to enjoy such as Scissortail Park and the Myriad Gardens.
- “Hot Ten – America’s Best New Restaurants”
Bon Appétit named Oklahoma City’s own Nonesuch as one of the “Hot Ten dining establishments in the US”!
#2) OKC offers so much fun!
- OKC Zoo- This Zoo is always expanding and striving to educate their guests! Visitors will enjoy world-class habitats including Great EscApe, Oklahoma Trails and Sanctuary Asia where there is an adorable family of elephants. The OKC Zoo also features several interactive exhibits that the whole family will enjoy, such as feeding lorakeets and stingrays.
- Scissortail Park and Myriad Gardens- Urban paradise! Both within walking distance of one another, these beautiful parks are the perfect place to unwind over a picnic or a game of frisbee. These parks host several family friendly events throughout the year such a weekly farmers markets, concerts and date night events.
- Lake Overholser- Needing a break from the city and want to connect with the outdoors? Lake Overholser is the place for you! This lake is stunning and a short 20 minute drive from Downtown OKC. Overholser has walking trails as well as paddle boarding and kayaking.
- OKC MOA- The Oklahoma City Museum of Art features one of the largest Dale Chihuly glass exhibits in the world as well as paintings, prints, photographs and sculptures. They are soon getting a new exhibition called “Moving Vision” that features funky kinetic art focused on color and pattern that also changes based on light.
#3) Growing Culture!
There are several great districts in OKC that offer a ton of great options for food, art and shopping.
- The Wheeler District- The Wheeler District is OKC’s newest district that is still being built up just south of the river. It started with a Ferris Wheel that was purchased from the Santa Monica Pier and made its way here. This district now features new homes, a coffee shop and brewery. The plans for this community are something that OKC has never seen before!
- Paseo Art District- As soon as you arrive at the Paseo Art District, it feels like you have been transported to a costal town. The buildings are colorful and the road is winding. The Paseo features several galleries of local artists, a pottery studio and an art walk on the 1st Friday of every month. Delicious restaurants such as Picasso Cafe and Goro Ramen help make an evening in Paseo the perfect date night. They also have a hi
- Plaza District- If you like street art and delicious food, Plaza is a place for you. The Plaza District is home to the Plaza Walls, an offbeat hidden museum of colorful street art created by local artists. The Plaza also has several delicious restaurants and bars featuring delicious foods and local beer selections. A personal favorite would be The Press, where I recommend the buffalo mashed potato bowl (you won’t regret it.) DNA Galleries is a gallery filled with art, jewelry, t-shirts and the best cards (for any occasion) in the city.
- Automobile Alley- Auto Alley has built up over the last several years with the addition of The Jones Assembly, an absolutely beautiful building that is not just a restaurant but a great concert venue. Although COVID has unfortunately postponed concerts for now, the Jones is still a great place to go for dinner and craft cocktails. They also have a huge patio, which is perfect for social distancing. Auto Alley is also home to several great shops, breweries and a stunning plant shop.
As you can see, there are several reasons why OKC could be the city for you! With more and more people coming to OKC from other states, NOW is the time to make your move and GPP would be more than happy to assist you.